Here in Michigan, we’ve been enjoying a great blueberry and strawberry season! The taste is great and price is even better. This is the time of year we stuff ourselves senseless with delicious produce, but in just a few short months fresh produce will be slim pickings, and what is available will have been shipped from far away and come at triple the expense. Whats a mama to do?
Freeze fresh produce of course! In my house we freeze strawberries and blueberries in bulk for use all year round, here’s how:
1) Wash and dry fresh produce
2) If the produce us large ( such as strawberries), cut into quarters before freezing. Otherwise (like blueberries for example) leave it whole.
3) Lay out produce on a cookie sheet that has been covered with wax paper to help prevent “sticking”
4) Put cookie sheet in the freezer overnight
5) The next day, place frozen produce into freezer bags
When you’re ready to use your delicious frozen produce, just get out the amount you’ll need and allow to thaw to room temperature for 20 minutes (great for baking) OR drop into the blender to make a delicious icy smoothie. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm!
What produce does your family preserve? We’d love to hear in the comments below! 🙂